I love soft pretzels but hate twisting them into pretzel shape, so I rarely make them and buying them is not in the budget. However, I realized that by making them into pretzel buns I get to satisfy my craving, stay in budget and I do not have to fight the dough to form pretzels.
Prep time: 1 Hour 15 Minutes
Cook time: 12 Minutes
Total time: 1 Hour 27 Minutes
2 cups milk
1 1/2 tbsp (2 packets active dry yeast
6 tbsp brown sugar
4 tbsp butter, melted
4 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp fine salt
3 cups warm water
2 tbsp baking soda
2 tbsp coarse salt.
1. Warm up milk in the microwave for about one and a half minutes. It should be about 110 degrees Celsius. If it is too hot it will kill the yeast, you should be able to comfortable keep your finger in it if you do not have a thermometer.
2. Stir in the yeas t and let sit for about 3 minutes. Add the butter and sugar. Add the fine salt. Add the flour 1 cup at a time.
3. Knead for 10 minutes by hand or in a stand mixer with the dough attachment (I used my stand mixer). Put dough ball in a greased bowl and cover. Let the dough rise for 1 hour in a warm place. The ball should double in size.
4. Preheat the over to 450F and grease a baking sheet. Combine warm water and baking soda in small bowl.
5. Punch down dough and divide into 12 lumps. Roll each lump into smooth balls.
6. Dip each ball in baking soda water, place on grease sheet and sprinkle with coarse salt.
7. Bake for 9-12 minutes or until browned.
I ate two pretzel buns straight out of the oven with some mustard. I restrained myself, let the others cool and froze them in a resealable bag. We are going to use these pretzel buns the next time we have burgers.
I’m super happy that we don’t have to buy plain buns for our next burger meal (saving on the budget) and bonus, we get better flavour than store bought.
Happy Wife, Happy Life!